Monday, November 21, 2011

My first 5K was, um, crappy!?

This weekend I ran my first 5K in the Women's Running Magazine Half Marathon and 5K-- yay me! The race itself was amazing. The pre-race smearing of another runners feces all over my clothes was not. Yes, you read that right, ANOTHER.RUNNERS.POOP was all over my jacket and pants moments before the race began. What in the holy hades happened you wonder? Well, sit tight and keep reading--and maybe grab a trash can to hurl in if you have a weak stomach. Here goes:

For my 5K I wore black spandex capris, a white t-shirt and a light pink Lululemon zip-up jacket (it was cold when we arrived at 6:30am). Palm Tree Dad came to the race with BB and CC to cheer me on-- such troopers because it was EARLY... like really, really early when we woke up at 4:50am.

Before the race started (around 6:45am) I told Palm Tree Dad that I needed to use the restroom because I was nervous-- I always have to pee when I am nervous, doesn't everyone? There were TONS of people in those lines for the zillion porto-pottys so after waiting in line for 10 minutes or so it was my turn.

It was pretty dark in the porto-potty and didnt smell particularly good, but no big deal, right? Its a porto-potty. WRONG! I squatted/hovered to pee and when I stood up I thought to myself "Oh man, I smell poop. Like fresh poop, new poop. WTF!?!?" Then I saw it... on the inner lid of the porto-potty there was poop (diarhea-y poop) and I had it all over my light pink jacket from squatting over the potty, and now all over the ass of my pants from standing up, and a TINY TINY bit on my WHITE shirt from when I stood up. I fought the urge to burst out of the porto-potty and hunt down the mad-crapper and kick her ass.

Meanwhile, its still pretty damned dark in the porto-potty and I am trying to clean myself off with shreds of cheap toilet paper/sandpaper before I walked out to (not even kidding) 100+ women who are waiting to use the potty before the race. I was panicked and considering quitting the whole damned thing right then and there. I was literally covered in another persons shit and not happy about it at all.

When I got myself figured out enough to leave the porto potty I ran to Palm Tree Dad as fast as my little untrained legs would carry me (after I warned everyone else in line that this potty was OUT OF ORDER!) and with tears in my eyes I explained to him what had happened, showed him the damage and ordered/begged him to get the baby wipes out of the baby bag (I knew those kids would come in handy at some point, LOL!). I could hardly hold it together and I could tell he felt terrible for me. He knew I was already super nervous for my first race and to have this happen on top of my nerves was a nightmare.

We were able to clean me off as best we could with the baby wipes and Palm Tree Dad dumping water down the butt of my pants--and literally reaching inside my pants to scrub the poop off them so I didnt smell like it during the race. He was a hero.


I am pretty sure I didn't leave a wave of poop-smell when I ran but I didn't exactly poll my fellow racers to check. "Do I smell like poop?" isn't exactly a question you ever really want to ask people in social or competitive situations.

The race itself was a life-changer for me, seriously, but thats another post for another day.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, sorry for such a ... Nasty experience. I have never heard such a bad per-race story that is for sure. I did notice that unlike the many races I have been to, both local and national that this one is the ONLY one where there was not blinding lighting outside the potties, which may have helped you see what you had walked into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm really sad and disgusted that that happened to you... I learned my no WHM PPs unless I'm dying... I ran my first women's half last year and after waiting in line for seemingly eons, I got my turn... Pee all over creation, I don't think I even walked in... This was my second year of "holding it" and I have not looked back... I did wait in line with one of my girl friend co runners who came out looking pale in the face... I don't know how people can be so disgusting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about this experience! I can't imagine how a woman could wreck a port-a-potty like that. I mean, you expect it of the dudes...they are all disgusting. I hope you had a good race despite this, and I'm glad you ran anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were quite a few men that ran that race this year. More than I had expected. I had to ask every male that came to get a goodie bag, while I was volunteering, if they were running the race and they all said yes they were running it (most with their name on their race number). I'm so sorry to hear what a horrible experience this was for you. I would have felt the exact same way you did. I hope your next race will be more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, my nightmare! I have a porto Porto-potty phobia. That story just confirmed it. See, this is why I don't exercise. Lol no, seriously, I am so proud of you for continuing. Personally, I would have went home crying!

    ReplyDelete